AAMCO’s Top 10 “Must Do” items to prepare your Car for the Spring Season
According to AAMCO, the best way to keep a car or truck running safely is through routine preventative maintenance. As the seasons transition from winter into spring, AAMCO offers the following tips to help car owners ease their vehicles into the warmer weather months:
1. Factory Maintenance Requirements. Check for required Factory Maintenance in your Owner’s Manual. AAMCO’s professional Technicians will perform those services for you.
2. Tires and Air Pressure: Check your tires for wear, damage, and correct air pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3% for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires*. Tires that are in good condition and properly inflated are safer, especially on wet and slick roads, and will last longer.
3. Battery: Have your battery, cables and engine drive belts inspected. Tip: If your battery is over 5 years old, you may want to consider replacing it before it gives you problems.
4. Engine Oil, Fluids and Filters: Spring is a good time for an engine oil and filter change. Fuel mileage can be affected by up to 1% – 2% by using improper grade of oil*. Check your manufacturer’ recommendation for frequency of other fluids too, auto manufacturer’s often recommend a radiator coolant change every 2 years or 24,000 miles and a transmission fluid change every three years or 36,000 miles based on usage.
5. Brakes: Check your front and rear brake pads, rotors, sensors and the related hydraulic brake parts for wear or damage and to prepare your car for safe summer driving.
6. Air Conditioning: It may be time for that Air Conditioning Tune up. Have your A/C system checked prior to the summer season so you’re not stuck in the summer heat. Also, the cabin air filter is an important filter to change regularly to protect you and your A/C System from harmful dust, pollen and other airborne dirt and debris.
7. Engine Tune-up: A vehicle that is noticeably out of tune or has failed an emissions test can affect gas mileage by an average of 4% according to U.S Department of Energy*. Fixing a serious maintenance problem, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve your mileage by as much as 40%*.
In addition to these important maintenance and safety tips, also check your wiper blades (#8) and lights and lamps (#9). Don’t wait for the old blades to scratch the windshield or that first spring thunderstorm to discover your blades are streaking or smearing the windshield. A good spring cleaning inside and out (#10) to remove all of the salts and winter gunk is also a good measure for protecting your paint and interior.
There you have it. The Top 10 “Must Do” items to do in order to get ready for the Spring and into the Summer. Trust the experts at AAMCO to care for everything in, on and under your car.
You’ve trusted the expert technicians at AAMCO for over 50 years to service the most complicated system in your car, the transmission, so you know you can trust us for all your car care needs – from oil changes to tune-ups to services that will keep your car in warranty and everything in, on or under your car. Go to www.aamco.com to find your neighborhood AAMCO dealer near you.
*Source: U.S Department of Energy (www.fueleconomy.gov)